Cognitive function can be measured by a group of battery tests called cognitive assessment or a cognitive function test. It helps to discover and measure cognitive abilities in adults and children, as well as a key identification tool when exploring learning disabilities, ADHD, school entry readiness also called the derogation test.
ADHD / ADD Screening Online
Why Cognitive Assessments Help
- Cognitive assessment helps understand cognitive functioning in specific areas of executive functioning such as:
- Spatial Ability: understanding of how objects occupy space.
- Mathematical Ability: understanding of standard arithmetic problems, logic problems and logical reasoning skills.
- Memory & Recall
- Language Ability
- Motor Skills: Many times, difficulty with fine motor skills can indicate a potential cognitive impairment.
- Attention: to measure the ability to focus on internal or external stimuli, and the attention span (length of the focus).
- Perception: Perceptive tests measure the ability to identify or recognize external stimuli using their senses of sight, hearing, touch, and sometimes smell.
- Executive Skills: also called cognitive control system are a set of cognitive skills including:
- Impulse Control: ability to control what you say and what you do, rather than blurting out inappropriate things and engaging in risky behaviors.
- Emotional Control: Ability to keep one’s feeling in check, rathern than overreacting and having difficulty to regroup when something goes wrong.
- Flexible Thinking: Ability to adjust to new unexpected situations.
- Working Memory: Helps process and keep information in mind. Kids with difficulties following instructions may be having a weak working memory and not because they are defiant.
- Self-Monitoring: Ability to evaluate who you are doing and not be surprised by a bad grade or a negative feedback.
- Planning and Prioritizing: Ability to decide on a goal and plan to meet the goal. A person with this difficulty may not know what part of the plan is most important.
- Task Initiation: Ability to take action and get started. You might know people who are known as being a “procrastinator”. They might just having difficulty to recognize where they need to start.
- Organization: It allows to keep track of things both physically and mentally. A person with difficulty in this skill can lost items and lose track of thoughts.
What We Can Learn From Cognitive Assessments
Cognitive assessments can tell us what is the strength and weakness of an individual in these set of skills and how to improve the problem. Anyone can benefit from these tests and it is NOT only for kids, although mostly children are referred for assessment because teachers observe some types of difficulties.Unfortunately, often these difficulties are misdiagnosed in children as ADHD or oppositional defiant disorder. A misdiagnosis can have significant harmful consequences for a child. Instead of being understood and given proper tools to overcome the difficulties, the child might be “punished” for a deficit that is outside his/her control.
- At Clinic Dr. Bita, you or child can be tested for:
- IQ (required for certain positions)
- Learning Disability
- Academic Functioning
- School Entry Readiness / Derogation Test
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) & Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
- Overall Cognitive Functioning / Executive Functioning (to identify your own strengths and weaknesses)
- Autism Spectrum
These tests can be done by our psychologist in Montreal, Laval, Brossard, and West Island. To contribute to science or a reduction in fee, you can ask to be tested by our intern psychologist. For fees and appointments, contact us.
Embed This Post
Copy paste the following code to your website:
<iframe src="https://www.clinicdrbita.com/blog/assessment/?embed=true" height="690" width="690">Assessment</iframe>
Holiday Depression A Myth?
Clinic Dr. Bita
Increased anxiety or depression increases suicide rates. Here are some risk factors.
Most Recent Article
Clinic Dr. Bita
With Montreal psychologists at Clinic Dr. Bita, cognitive assessments help understand cognitive functioning in specific areas of executive functioning, commonly referred to as "Cognitive Function" tests. Learn more!